Monday, February 9, 2009

Been A Long Time (Que Tempo, Cara)

Not that many people ever followed this blog, but for those who did and actually noticed my absence...sorry to leave you hangin'. I was out of the country for a few months sorting out visa issues. But the good folks at the Brazilian Consulate in DC have seen fit to allow me back in....so here we go again!

So what's been happening in Rio since we last did this thing? Well, the police are now 'permanently' occupying three favelas (including City of God) in a test of new strategy , Marcelo D2 dropped a new album (complete with a guest spot by my home girl, Zuzuka Poderosa), the cops continue to kill at will (including each other) and funk carioca still continues to blast out of Rio's 700+ favelas.

Before I went AWOL on this thing, I had promised you some video from my gig at the womans prison. In the spirit of 'better late than never', I'll leave you for now with this clip of baile funk in a womans prison.

1 comment:

Marcus Ronaldi said...

Wow!
What a great (and unusual) video!!

I remember all the whole genre of women in prison movies (which amazingly no women remember...) and whenever I speak to a guard at a women's prison they always say, its not like the movie..