Monday, November 24, 2008

A Unique Gig


pictured above: finalists in last years Miss Garota TB beauty pageant. photo: O Globo

Tomorrow I will be djing in front of an audience consisting of members of the international press, various Brazilian celebrities, a documentary film crew and a captive (literally) audience of very attractive Brazilian woman. Where and what is this dream gig? The Garota TB beauty pageant in the Talavera Bruce Womans Penitentiary, Gericinó Penitentiary Complex; Rio state's largest such facility.

The contest, which has taken place for the last 5 years, draws international media attention and is used a tool for empowerment and rehabilitation of the female prisoners. While I've never been big on beauty pageants (and have certainly never djed at one), this sounds like a great progressive program to support and too interesting an opportunity to pass up. Where else would I ever get the chance to see a beauty queen crowned sporting a tattoo of a machine gun on her back (see: last years winner, Dione Normando Pires)?

Updates (including video if I can get my camera in) to come!

2 comments:

missy b. said...

HA! That's awesome! You're taking photos of this, right??

Anonymous said...

Wish I was there! Oh wait. No I don't.