Friday, August 1, 2008

New Tracks From Dj Edgar


'Baile Funk Master', Dj Edgar (pronounced in rio: Edgy-gahr) and the San FranCarioca, just before he passed out on the dance floor

Last Tuesday night left me reduced to a helpless puddle of sweat on the dance floor. While every dj that played that night is guilty as charged (Beware, Joyce Muniz, Ben Mono, I'm talkin' to you!), one offender was particularly egregious...Dj Edgar!


Rockin' the decks since the Miami Bass era of rio funk and coming up under the tutlege of the Furacão 2000 Crew, Edgar has taken his sound international as of late. With regular appearances in Sweden, Denmark, France, England, Norway, Holland, Poland, Switzerland, Prague, Germany and Austria, the 'Gentle Giant' still makes time for the home town crowd. And it was in front of this home crowd at 00 (zero zero) Tuesday that I was so thoroughly abused. I was not alone; the carnage was total. The man from Man left everyone devastated with his mix of exclusive tracks, remixes and live displays of MPC dexterity (see photo).

Well, it's now Friday....three days later. I've had a chance to recover and was beginning to regain feeling in my bass receptors when these tracks showed up in my inbox from Edgar. Oh lawd, let the flash backs begin!

The first cut, 'Beat Goes On', is built around an Egyptian Lover vocal sample and a chopped and screwed take on the synth line from Axel F (note to the youngsters: if you think Axel F was originally by Crazy Frog, read about Harold Faltermeyer NOW!). I believe Edgar dropped this one tuesday and I believe the effect was total.

Download 'Beat Goes On'

The second cut brought a smile to my face. If you remember the post on Dj Marlboro a short while back, I had a clip of him playing 'Let's groove Tonight' by Earth Wind and Fire. Well to bring it full cirlcle, here's Dj Edgars 2008 Funk Carioca update.

Download 'Boogie Down Beat'

Edgar refers to his sound as 'Baile Funk With High Quality' and I would have to agree.

Much thanks to Edgar for sharing the tracks and photos and to his homie who was taking the photos. Respeito!

more Dj Edgar links:

djedgar-rj.com

Dj Edgar ORKUT page
Dj Edgar on Myspace
Dj Edgar demonstrating the MPC 500 (via Youtube)

4 comments:

SoundGoods said...

Hey Tee,
congrats for your very nice blog!
But I think you became more "um carioca" and not "uma"... ;-)
Abr

tee cardaci said...

Hahahaha! Can you tell i'm still learning? I thought the 'uma' had to agree with 'carioca', which i took to be feminine, being that it ends with an 'a'. Thanks for helping out a poor gringo! I'll change it now....and then anyone reading this will have no idea what we're talking about ;)
muito obrigado, amigo! ->t.

SoundGoods said...

Yeah, but carioca is used for both a feminine and masculine adjective for Rio de Janeiro...

Abr

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these tracks! More Baile Funk!!! Edgar is sick! Loving the live MPC stuff. keep it up!